Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Chaos Wars Mounted Ogre Conversions


Iron Wind Metals/Ral Partha's Ogre Cavalry on Elephants
Iron Wind Metals recently mailed me some minis and among the figures in the box were these Ogres!  I love these figures but I felt they needed a bit of converting just to give them each their own look.


First I started with cutting off one of the ogres arms.  It took a bit of sawing and applying a lot of pressure with the exacto knife but it finally came off.


Then I drilled a hole in the arm and the shoulder with my pin-vise and added a small piece of metal rod in the shoulder hole and glued it.  


Then I inserted the rod into the arm hole and glued that.


I took a bit too much off of the shoulder so I had to sculpt a new shoulder using ProCreate Professional Sculptors Putty.


I decided to give this guy a "Lemmy Kilmister" mustache so I also sculpted some hair.  I may go back and add some layering later on but for now this is what I finished with.



On the second figure I decided to cut his arm off at the elbow.  I cut along the line of his arm guard this way it's easier to disguise where the cut was made.


This is after pinning and gluing the arm.  I had a bit more difficulty with just gluing this one so I added a little ball of the ProCreate on the pin and it held together better.


I decided to sculpt some long hair on this fella.

Back View


And here is the final results.  I like the way they came out and I think the conversions just gave them a little more personality.  I'm no sculpting virtuoso but I'm satisfied with it.

4 comments:

  1. They look pretty good to me...I love the Lemmy moustache. I wish these re-released RP figures were available here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Springinsfeld! I'm kind of surprised Ral Partha Europe doesn't have them yet. I'm sure it'll be soon.

      Delete
  2. Lemmy! I had those figures once upon a time myself. Well, I had one of them, not three. But still. Fond memory.

    ReplyDelete